Archival Documents


William Archibald Geddes fonds [graphic material, textual record]

Creation Date(s): [between 1934 and 1947]

Physical Description:
14 photographs : b&w prints. - 2 postcards. - 0.1 cm textual records

Bio Sketch / Admin History:
The Right Reverend William Archibald Geddes, BA, DD, was born in 1894 in Gridstone, on the Magdalen Islands in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. He came to Yukon in 1920 and was ordained deacon and priest by Bishop Isaac Stringer. His first assignment was in the Porcupine River area on the Arctic coast. He worked amongst the Inuit there as a missionary, first on Herschel Island and later at Shingle Point. In September 1928, Geddes was elected Bishop of Mackenzie River, and was ordained in Winnipeg at St. John's Cathedral on February 3rd, 1929. Later that same year he married Beatrice Terry, a nurse working in the Mackenzie River area.

On June 1st 1933, Bishop Geddes took over the duties of Administrator of the Yukon Diocese following the transfer of Bishop Arthur Sovereign. He served the Anglican Church as the fourth Bishop of the Yukon from 1934 to 1947, and as interim rector of Christ Church in Whitehorse on two occasions (February to May, 1936, and August 1938 to April 1939).

Bishop Geddes served the Church during particularly troubled times. He saw his diocese through the depths of the Depression and the unsettling years of World War II. Throughout all of this he maintained a grueling travel schedule which eventually took a toll on his health. By the mid 1940s he was wintering in Vancouver, British Columbia, and traveling around the Yukon only in summer. Geddes died in 1947.

Scope and Content:
This fonds consists of graphic materials collected by the Right Reverend William Archibald Geddes during his term as Bishop of the Yukon, between 1934 and 1947, as well as one textual document. The graphic documents include images of the interior of St. Paul's Anglican Church in Dawson City, a portrait of Bishop Geddes, a photograph of the Dawson City Bank of Montreal, a photograph of Mrs. Valentine, and several images from other Northern communities. The textual document is a Diocese of the Yukon booklet published in 1947 in celebration of Dawson City's Golden Jubilee.

Accession Number(s): 1991.49 (TD 253)


Dawson City Museum is located in the Old Territorial Administration Building at 595 Fifth Avenue.
Phone: 867-993-5291 • Fax: 867-993-5839 • E-Mail: info@dawsonmuseum.ca