Archival Documents


Boy Scouts Association Dawson Troupe fonds [textual records]

Creation Date(s): 1932-1969

Physical Description:
19 cm of textual records

Bio Sketch / Admin History:
Lieutenant-General Robert Baden-Powell founded the Scouting Movement in 1907. The Canadian General Council of the Boy Scout Association was incorporated by an act of parliament on June 12, 1914, and remained a branch of the Boy Scout Association of the British Commonwealth until 1946. After 1946, Boy Scouts of Canada became an independent member of the Boy Scout World Conference.

The mission of the Boy Scouts is to "contribute to the education of young people, through a value system based on the Scout Promise and Law, to help build a better world where people are self-fulfilled as individuals and play a constructive role in society."

By 1928 there was a scout troupe in Dawson City, although archival photographs suggest that there may have been scouting in Dawson as early as 1921 or 1922. The Dawson Troupe remained in operation throughout the 1930s, 40s, 50s and 60s.

Following a period of inactivity, the Dawson Troupe was resurrected by Carol McBride during the 1990s. McBride organized the scouts for seven years; however, Dawson's small population, and enrollment competition from the Junior Rangers, brought scouting to an end for good.

Other past leaders of the Dawson scouts include: L. Millar, A. Haldenby, D. Gairns, R.F. Lovell, Maggie Bremner, and Sylvia Cutten.

Scope and Content:
This fonds consists of textual documents created and accumulated by the Boy Scouts Association Dawson Troupe between 1932 and 1969.

Documents include: pack records, badge requirements, correspondence, forms, invoices, receipts, minutes, memos, membership roster, an original duplicate Troupe Charter, forms, and resource material for scout leaders.

Accession Number(s): 1989.9


Dawson City Museum is located in the Old Territorial Administration Building at 595 Fifth Avenue.
Phone: 867-993-5291 • Fax: 867-993-5839 • E-Mail: info@dawsonmuseum.ca