Yukon Rebekah Lodge No. 1 fonds
Creation Date(s): 1904-1964
29 cm textual records (10 ledgers). - 1 book. - 1 booklet
Bio Sketch / Admin History:
The Daughters of Rebekah are a benevolent society, originally founded in 1851 as the women’s auxiliary to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF). The IOOF is a fraternal organization which aims to help those in need and promote the betterment of its membership and society as a whole. The IOOF is represented by an emblem consisting of three links of an interlocking chain. The links symbolize friendship, love and truth.
The Yukon Rebekah Lodge No. 1 was inaugurated on October 10, 1904, in the original IOOF Hall at the corner of 2nd Avenue and Princess Street, in Dawson City. Originating officers included: Mrs. Alice Moor, Mrs. Mary Percival, Miss Alma Hill, Mr. Gilbert Sinclair, Mrs. Holmes, Mr. William Reister, and Mr. T.H. Cullins.
Yukon Rebekah Lodge No. 1 remained active in Dawson City from the time of its founding until 1964, at which time the IOOF Dawson City Lodge surrendered its charter.
Scope and Content:
This fonds consists of records kept by members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Yukon Rebekah Lodge No. 1, in Dawson City, between 1904 and 1964, and one ledger maintained by the IOOF Dawson City Lodge No. 1, between 1920 and 1925.
Documents in the fonds include: minute books, memberships registers, a sales catalogue for Rebekah Lodge costumes and paraphernalia, and one copy of the Journal of the Proceedings of Sovereign Grand Lodge IOOF, 1963.
Accession Number(s): 2003.19 (TD 931)