Nutty Club fonds [textual record, graphic material]
Creation Date(s): 1954-1994, predominant 1954-1989
39 cm textual records. - 4 photographs : b&w prints. -1 album (8 photographs, letters, greeting cards and clippings). - 3 artifacts
Bio Sketch / Admin History:
In 1945 a group of women in Dawson City, Yukon began meeting once a week for a social
hour. They knitted, mended, made scarves for the war effort, and volunteered at the hospital. The group became known as the Nutty Club.
When the Dawson Daily News ceased operations in 1954, members of the Nutty Club began receiving requests for local news from friends and former Dawsonites on the “outside.” The “Nuts” obliged by writing a newsletter, copying it, and sending it to their friends who had left town.
The first newsletter was immensely popular and the Club’s friends demanded a repeat effort. It was not long before locals too began requesting copies of the newsletter and the Klondike Korner was born. The first few issues of the Klondike Korner were free, but as demand increased, the Nutty Club began charging fifteen cents per copy to cover their production costs.
The Nutty Club had no bylaws or executive structure; everyone took turns writing, editing, typing, publishing, handling accounts and managing subscriptions. Under the management of a group of twelve women, the Klondike Korner became a successful news publication, with a subscriber base of four hundred by 1959. Early members of the Nutty Club included: Nancy Firth, Pretoria Butterworth, Ethel Colbourne, Adele Comadina, Ida Jansen, Lil Monroe, Virginia Redmond, Emma Mellor, Ethel Callison, Christine Chapman, Margrette Gaudroue, Doris Osborn, Alice Ravenhill, Athol Rettalick and Mary Gartside.
The “Nuts” produced the biweekly (every other week) Klondike Korner at the Dawson Public School until 1957 when the school burned down. Operations were temporarily moved into the kitchen of a local hotel, and then to St. Paul’s Hostel in 1959. Early editions of the Klondike Korner were published on borrowed mimeograph machines until two hundred dollars from “Granny” Chapman helped the women purchase their first Gestetner.
The Nutty Club continued to publish the Klondike Korner until 1989 at which time the Klondike Sun became Dawson City’s new local newspaper. The last issue of the Klondike Korner was produced and distributed by Brenda Cayley, Marlene Braga, Irene Crayford, Kay Holloway, Kathy Gates, Lorraine Fisk, May Gudmundson, Cassandra Crayford and Barb Hanulik. At the time of last printing, the Klondike Korner held the record of longest running newsletter in the Yukon. After the women stopped producing the Klondike Korner, the Nutty Club became a chiefly social organization once again.
Scope and Content:
This fonds consists of documents created, received and collected by the Nutty Club, of Dawson City, Yukon Territory, between the years 1954 and 1994. Documents reflect the Nutty Club's social relationships, particularly with the Dawson City diaspora, as well as the Club's function as producer of Dawson City's only newspaper between 1954 and 1989, the Klondike Korner.
The fonds is comprised largely of correspondence, in addition to receipts, invoices, financial statements, subscription lists, copies of other northern newsletters, photographs, licenses, funding proposals, notices, schedules, programmes, newspaper clippings, and one album containing correspondence and photographs of members of the Nutty Club. The fonds also contains a complete record of all the Klondike Korners printed between 1954 and 1989.
The fonds has been arranged in the following seven series: Correspondence and news stories; Klondike Korners; Financial documents; Subscription records; Printed materials; Album; Miscellaneous documents and ephemera.
Accession Number(s): 1991.3, 1992.43, 1995.1, 1996.565