Photograph of group of Northwest Mounted Police in uniform standing outside a long log building (probably the barracks) at Tagish Post. This was one of the most important posts in the Yukon, also called Fort Sifton after the then Minister of the Interior. Every traveller registered his party and his boat and was given a registration number. Opened in 1897, it brought some order to the mad rush down the river. A post office was open from August 20, 1897 to October 1, 1901.
Inscription recto: 2154 N.W.M.P. Tagish Post E.A. Hegg