Colour view of the interpretive panel for the SS Keno. The panel reads: The SS Keno
Buildt in Whitehorse in 1922 by the British Yukon Navigation Company, and rebuilt in 1937. The SS Keno is similar in design to the sternwheelers that plied the Yukon River during the Klondike gold rush.
She ws powered by a 9.6 N.H.P. wood-burning, two cylinder steam engine. Her first master was William Cowley, on her regular runs from mid-May to mid-September she could carry 20 tons of cargo and could officially accommodate 32 passengers.
After several years on the ore run from Keno Hill - Mayo Mines to Stewartr River, the Keno was beached "out of service" in 1951 but in 1960 her owners, the White Pass and Yukon Route, gave her to the nation. She was refitted, brought here from Whitehorse under her own steam and restored in 1961-62 by the National Parks Branch, Department of Northern Affairs and National Resources.
1922 length - 130.5 ft, Beam - 29.2 ft., Draught - less than 3 ft, tonnage - 553
1937 length - 140.6 ft Beam - 30.4 ft., Draught - less than 3 ft, tonnage - 613
Caption: June 64